Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Bountiful Basketsand Produce Wash


 Have you tried Bountiful Baskets yet?


 I LOVE bountiful baskets, it's a quick and easy way to keep fresh (organic if you want) fruits and veggies in my home. And when I have fresh fruits and veggies in my home I cook with them.

If you're not familiar with what bountiful baskets is here is a link to the information about how they work.

Basically, you "contribute" money and in return you get a "basket" filled with 50% fruit and 50% vegetables, you pay 10 bucks extra per basket if you want 100% organic. They often have extra things you can buy too, like this last time I did it they had blueberries, blackberries and a 25lb bag of colorful carrots! They almost always have some bread products, their sour dough is really yummy and so is the organic 9 grain bread.



I'm a bit of a bread addict so I always stock up when they offer it. I can eat like four slices in one sitting, I know, so nut Atkins approved!





Once I get home from pick up day I immediately wash my produce in a simple soak.


 All it is is Apple Cider Vinegar and cool water then you let the fruits/veggies soak for around 10 minutes.





I promise, it does not make your produce taste vinegary or weird, all it does is kill any bacteria that may be on the produce.




 Then you dry the produce and store it as you would normally. I froze the majority of my carrots and blueberries. I also froze all the bread I got (10 loaves in total, 5 sour dough and 5 9 grain)
I like to use a salad spinner to dry my berries, it gets the job done quickly and is super easy to use. This one I got from one of our local grocery stores, HEB.

I wish I had taken more pictures of all the stuff I got, but I forgot too. You really should give Bountiful Baskets a try, it's well worth the money to have fresh, healthy food in your house.


Do you do something like BB? 
Or do you got to the farmers markets to hand pick your veggies?
Or are you a supermart kind of person?

Let me know!
Ilsa

*DISCLAIMER*
I am not affiliated with Bountiful Baskets nor do I get paid to promote them. I just honestly like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment