Friday, September 4, 2015

Chunky Monkey Banana Cupcakes

Banana Cake is the BOMB!

So, while suffering from insomnia early one morning I decided to come up with a chocolaty peanut buttery cup cake, I used my MIL's mom's recipe as a base then added/changed somethings.
The very first change I made was to replace the shortening with plain yogurt, I used both Greek and American style yogurts (don't ask me why I did this, I had both kinds and just decided it would be a good idea) and mixed it with the sugar using my Bosch (I LOVE THAT MACHINE!)

The Bosch is amazing! It's so powerful that all I had to do was put the bananas in to the mixer and the machine mashed them for me as they got mixed in, which means no extra bowls or mashers to clean!

Then I added PB2 Chocolate to the sugar and yogurt mixture for the peanut butter taste, but not many added calories. I also replaced the white AP (all purpose) flour with white whole wheat AP flour to make it a little hardier and more filling, these really could be called muffins if it werent for how much sugar is in them.



I also separated the eggs, putting the whites in a separate bowl and whipping them till really frothy and adding the yolks directly to the mixer with the other ingredients. This recipe calls for butter milk but I never have any one hand so I just make my own using 1 1/3 cups whole milk and then add 1 tablespoon vinegar, mix it up then let it set for at least 10 minutes to thicken.


I added the frothy egg whites to the batter for added volume. It ended up making the batter really thin, so I was concerned that the cupcakes wouldn't rise and I would have a Friday fail on my hands.   
Frothy!
Once that was all combined I added chocolate chuncks, sticking with my "Chunky Monkey" theme, but they all sunk to the bottom of the batter, next time I'll use mini chocolate chips in stead.
 I scooped the batter into lined muffin tins that had been sprayed with cooking spray to help them keep from sticking and popped them into a preheated oven for 25 minutes and they came out looking great!  

The next step was to frost them. I decided to cheap out and go lazy with the frosting. My big sister had given me a can of squeeze frosting that her husband use to "whiz" from because she doesn't bake and her hubby wasn't using it I took it home. So I used it on these cupcake, it's was chocolate so it went really well with the banana and peanut butter flavors. 

                                                                              The frosting was alright, it tastes like store bough frosting, very artificial and SUPER sweet, I highly encourage you to make your own using your favorite chocolate frosting, preferably something dark, or maybe even a caramel frosting.  These cupcake are so delisious and moist. The chocolate chunks did sink to the bottom of the cake like I expected, but I don't consider these a failure at all! 



Chunky Monkey Banana Cupcakes 

Makes roughly 30 cup cakes
  1. 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  2. 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  3. 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar 
  4. 1/2 cup brown sugar
  5. 4 eggs, separated
  6. 2 tsp baking powder
  7. 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  8. 4 cups white wheat flour
  9. 1 1/3 cups butter milk (whole milk and a tablespoon of vinegar may be substituted)
  10. 2 cups ripe bananas (2 large bananas or 3 medium ones)
  11. 1 12 oz bag chocolate chunks (I'd use mini chips next time though)
Preheat oven to 375.
Combine in a mixer sugar and both yogurts, then add the egg yolks one at a time and combine well. Add the baking powder and baking soda while the mixer is still running then add the salt. 
Add, a little at a time to the running mixer, the flour then pour in the butter milk. 
Now add your bananas. Slowly mix in the egg whites that you've whipped until foamy with a white whisk, then add in your chocolate. Scoop into lined muffin pan, be sure to spray your liners so the cupcakes don't stick. Turn the oven down to 325 and bake for 25 minutes.
Cool the cupcakes out of the muffin tin on a wire rack until fully cooled then frost with your favorite chocolate frosting.
Enjoy!


I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I do!

What's your favorite cupcake flavor?


Ilsa B.

No comments:

Post a Comment