Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Watermelon = Summer Time

Ah; sweet, sweet summer time.

As I mentioned earlier on this blog I've been trying the menu that is given to you as a Team Beachbody member. My initial review was pretty low, although I did find out that you can set your dinners to serve 4 people so, that makes grocery shopping a little easier. I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but, the cost of my grocery's for what was suppose to last 1 week turned out to be $205! That's just way to much for one week's worth of food but, being as how I am super awesome, I have been able to spread it out to cover us for 2 weeks with very little extra trips to the store.


One of the yummy food items on my shopping list was my favorite fruit, the Watermelon! Just typing it's name out makes me salivate, I was sure to pick a good one (nice dark yellow and flat spot on one side and heavy for it's size) and I was excited to try out this new watermelon carving technique I saw on the all mighty Pinterest. Here it is, enjoy the photo's and hopefully you'll learn something cool  
Start out by getting all of your stuff near by, you'll need a trash can/bowl to toss your reins in, a good sharp knife, a cutting board, and storage containers. I did this on my patio table so that the juice could just drip down on to the concrete and I could rinse it off later but, if you can't do it this way you could try putting a big towel down or giving your kiddies a straw and tell them to suck up all the juice before the giant ants come. Prep your melon by slicing one of the ends off to create a flat surface to work from, this is important to prevent your melon from rolling around on you.
My little "helper" waiting patiently for her melon cubes.
Then, working from the top (or bottom, you know whatever!) with a really sharp knife stat to slice down the melon, your goal is to remove ALL of the white stuff while losing as little of the delicious melon meat as possible.
Once you're done with the peeling it's time for you to slice the melon into what I call "melon boards" they should be about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick, our goal is to cube the melon for quick and easy snackage. Now that you have your boards it's time to make then cubes, turn the boards into lines that are about 1 inch wide and then cut across the lines making 1 inch cubes. As you finish cubing each board put the cubes into a container, this is important to prevent the cubes from taking over your work space and making you their bee-yatch
 Now that you're done, clean up and then store your melon and enjoy it for the next week.

Enjoy!
May your tummy's always be full and your house free from Ants.

P.S.
I'm working with a Nikon Colorpix S9100, any tips on how I can achieve better pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment